According to MentalHealth.gov, “Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.”
In order to maintain a healthy well-being here are some suggestions:
- Release all the negativity that surrounds you. If that means you have to steer away from family, friends, associates, or work buddies; do that!!! If you continue to surround yourself with negative vibes, you will begin to cause tension.
- Be more attentive to what your body is telling you. When you become in tune with your body; you are more open to remedies that will assist you to become less anxious/stress/depressed. Treat yourself to massages. Remember loving yourself more is the goal.
- Exercise!!! Find an activity that you would enjoy doing that will keep you active. If you enjoy dancing, yoga, skating, biking, boxing, walking, etc. do it. Utilize this time to release some of that unnecessary stress/anxiety.
- Recognize that it is ok to be emotional. When we hold in emotions; it festers into a much bigger problem. Talk to someone who is not only a good listener; but a confidant. Cry if you need to shed some tears. Scream if you need to let off some frustration (try to do it alone at home so you won’t scare the kids).
- Slow down sometimes. We are not perfect beings; therefore we are not able to do everything that is asked of us. Accept that this is normal.
- Smile and compliment not only yourself daily, but others too!! You do not know how this will create a positive and happy environment for not only you; but others within your space.
- The past cannot be changed. Forgive yourself and move on. Let go of all the things you have no control over.
- Always trust your instincts!!! Your intuition will not fail you. If it doesn’t feel right; don’t do it!!
- Become open to saying exactly what you want to be known. It’s okay to say no or yes to anything you want. Don’t you dare worry about how someone else will feel about your time/actions. Remember you are on the way to a less stressful life.
- If your mental health goes beyond these steps; seek professional counseling. Do not be embarrassed that you may be suffering from mental illness that goes beyond what you are able to fix within yourself.
In my opinion, you can create a happier and healthier YOU if you work on your mental health and stress levels. With your mental health in check; you may even sleep better at night, have fewer stressful headaches, and tension/tightness in your muscles.